Do you feel unstable on your feet? Do you have a fear of falling? Do you have a history of falls?
Older individuals and individuals with neurological conditions have an increased risk of falls. In British Columbia, Canada at least 10 000 falls per year are recorded of which 3 100 leads to hospitalization and 771 result in death. It is estimated that one third of over 65’s are at risk of falling each year. Falls are a major cause of ill health and account for 62% of all fatal injuries in people aged 65 and above.
Many people believe that falls are a normal part of ageing, but there are numerous ways in which the risk of falls can be reduced.
Phillo Beukes Physiotherapy provides a specialist exercise programme to reduce the risk of falls, increase your confidence and increase your mobility. Following your initial assessment, the programme consists of a number of falls prevention sessions over a three month period.
- Two Sessions in the First Week
- Followed by Three Sessions at Weekly Intervals
- Followed by Three Biweekly Sessions
- Finally, Two Weekly Sessions
These Sessions will Include:
- Initial Assessment
- Home Environment Safety Assessment
- Production of Report with Advice and Aids / Adaptation Recommendations
- Teaching of Exercises
- Provision of Exercise Equipment to use whilst completing your exercises
- Provision of a Booklet with Illustrations and Instructions of Exercises
- Provision of a Diary to Record Exercise Completion and Falls
- Appropriate Advice / Training for Carers and / or Relatives
- Exercise Review
- Exercise Progression
- Advice / Education Sessions
- Outdoor Mobility, if appropriate
- Final Report
The programme will be designed to suit your abilities and generally consists of:
- Strengthening Exercises for the Major Leg Muscles
- Balance Exercises
- Walking Plans
As your strength and balance improve the exercises will be gradually progressed.